18.7.09

pithy poems

I love poetry of all kinds, but some of my favourites are the short, succinct ones that "pack a punch" in a few simple words. For example, one of my all-time favourite poems is this one by Margaret Atwood:

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye


Here are a couple of my own, written over the past few years:

a moment of clarity

I witnessed a thing of intense beauty
and wanted to share it with you.

Then I realized
that the thing was no less beautiful
without you there.


Spent

She has nothing left
to say
to think
to feel.

She lays panting
gasping for words:

a fish out of water

slapping uselessly
on the cold cement of indifference.


And here's one I just wrote today, although the idea for it has been floating around in my head for awhile. I'm not that crazy about it, because I don't think it fully captures the intensity of my feeling in the moment of inspiration. But it's a beginning.

heartbeat

the susurration of your blood
can be minimized to something clinical,
identified as your pulse

but lying here with you,
it's your heartbeat inside my ear
that sets the rhythm of my breathing
and echoes my contentment

2 comments:

  1. random question... how did you add the "love, insipiring, etc." stuff on the end of your posts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you’re viewing your blog, click on the Customize link in the top right hand corner. Then select the Layout Tab, then the Page Elements link. Click the Edit tab in the Blog Posts square and under Post Page Options, check of the Reactions option and click the Edit link to write whatever words you want. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete