7.8.10

I wrote something new!

It's been forever since I wrote something new. This poem, entitled "Once", was inspired by a lost friendship that I was contemplating today.

Once

Once we
talked, laughed, shared secrets,
fought, cried, betrayed,
forgave, supported,
and, most importantly,
loved.

Now we just don’t.
Any of it.

Which used to hurt,
much more than it does
n(N)ow(.)
I can watch your life in picture stills
as it continues without me.

Because as time unfurls
the hole in my heart
grows smaller
as others come alongside
to fill the void left by
your silence and apparent apathy
of what once was.

(It was worth fighting for, you know.)

But the bitterness subsides with time,
the pain dims,
and I can be happy that you’re happy,
even without me.

Once we shared life together.
Now we just don’t.

I wish it was different.
But it’s not.
And so I move on,
thanking God that I have friendships for today
and that
once,
I got to share a part of my life’s journey
with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment